Popular Posts

Friday, February 25, 2011

Why is it so hard to make money selling a great product?

I have talked to a few of my customers and they don't understand why it is sooooo hard for us to make money selling a great product with a good sales person. I ask you???? I feel and my feedback says that my prices are fare. I have never had a complaint about my products. Quite the contrary, you all seem to love them and come back time and time again.

The farming industry is set up so that the huge containment barns make all the money and the little farmer, like me, struggles to put out a superior product. It costs me more to feed my animals because they are outside running off calories and there for taking in more calories. Well, that is what make the meat "naturally" lean without drugs.

Sometimes it is frustrating feeling like you are doing something good but getting nothing in return. I which I would come up with some kind of fundraiser so that we had a cushion for times like this (winter).

Sorry for the rant and thanks for reading!

5 comments:

  1. This is an important question because, as a new customer, I would like to see you make a fair living. This is very hard because you have to be the farmer, delivery person, and marketing department (etc). As you said, making a living is much easier for factory farms that have direct channels to market.
    Do you do any of the farmers' markets, like Green City? That might increase your sales-- right now people have to actively seek out your van stops. For established customers, who know how good your product is, seeking you out is no problem, but this might increase your customer base.
    I think you are very smart to use the internet to your advantage. Do you have a Facebook page? You could also see if local foodie resources like the local beet could work to your advantage. I found you through the LTH forum: http://www.lthforum.com/bb/index.php and through your email list. Could you market through new butchers such at The Butcher and Larder?

    I suspect that all of your customers appreciate your hard work and high-quality product-- one thing working in your favor is the food trend toward local, sustainable, artisan meat.

    Best wishes for continued and increased success!
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen,

    During the summer I am at several farmers markets. I do not do Green City because there are already 8 meat vendors there. I do have a Facebook page and I am on Twitter. Now I have started the blog. Next we are going to be putting videos on You Tube and starting weekly pod casts.

    The Local Beet just asked people to give their candid opinions on their CSAs and I e-mailed all my CSA customers asking them to post their opinions. As of about 2 minutes ago only 2 had.

    I would love to use the internet to my full advantage I just don't always know what that is.

    Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  3. What about supplying to some of the local restaurants that use local, grass-fed meat and eggs? Here's a partial list:
    http://www.ecovian.com/s/chicago/restaurants?distance=20&page=2&perpage=10&spatial=Chicago%2C+IL
    Many of the upscale restaurants also use local products and aren't listed there.

    Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Crystal, I found your FB page shortly after I commented here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please don't get discouraged! You are appreciated by many! I just had a couple of ideas.
    Could you advertise more prominently how the meat you sell is raised (grass-fed, forages outdoors, humane standards or certificates, etc)? You have had some animal photos at your booth in the past, which has been great.
    You have a very long product list, which is awesome if you want something specific but can be cumbersome if someone is just browsing the market. Could you have a special listing of favorites or bestsellers? Or bold certain products you want to highlight?

    ReplyDelete