Popular Posts

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Pigs Are Dirty Animals

For those of you that know me you have a good idea that it takes a lot to make me mad.  Yes, I have a very dry sense of humor.  I am very brash and can come off like a real bitch without meaning to.  At the same time I have one of the biggest hearts you will ever find. 

All that being said the one thing that really makes me angry is when people tell me they don't eat pork because pigs are dirty animals.  If you tell me you don't eat pork because of religious reasons or don't give me a reason at all I don't think twice about it and just move on.  But to tell me you only eat chicken and beef because pigs are dirty makes me steam.  It is probably the only thing I will argue with you about.

Chickens - poop where they eat, walk around eating out of other animals poop.  Cows - poop and then lie down in it.  Pigs do not poop where they eat or sleep.  In the winter the pigs will make one hut a poop hut because let's be honest here who wants to poop outside in the dead of winter. 

Pigs do not wallow in mud because they like it.  Actually pigs prefer to be clean at all times.  They do not have sweat glands so the only way they have to cool off on a hot summers day is to wallow in the mud.  Anyway, you aren't eating their hair and in most cases you aren't eating their skin so does it really matter that they lie in mud???????  Doesn't it really matter what is going inside them?  What they eat?  How they live? 

I am sorry for the rant but this is the one subject that pushes my buttons.  Well, this and commercial "farming" which I don't consider farming at all.  But that is another subject for another day.

4 comments:

  1. waaaaaaaaaay to rant! you go! well said!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They say pigs are "dirty" not because of physical dirt but because pigs are known to carry the most zoonotic diseases to humans. Back in olden times they didn't have the science to know about cooking properly or vaccinations of animals etc. People were getting sick from eating pork so they claimed it was dirty and against their religious views to eat it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cows, pigs, wars, and witches by Marvin Harris is a good start. As well as there are many other scholarly hypothesis on their reproduction, eating habits and nutrition, etc that led people to think pigs are dirty

    ReplyDelete