Popular Posts

Friday, April 8, 2011

The Vet Gets More Money

Yesterday afternoon while I was at Andersonville I got a phone call from Dave on the farm.  He informs me that there is a new piglet in my office.  This little guy is one of 13 to a 3rd time mother.  He is also a Franklin baby.

In case you don't remember Franklin was one of Stinker Thinkers babies.  He was stepped on by Stinker and had to get stitches on his side.  Franklin is no longer with us but his legacy continues on.

Dave tells me that the baby was stepped on and you could see his guts.  I am thinking that this is not good and doesn't sound to me like he is going to make it.  This just goes to show that the guys should never try to describe the problem over the phone to me.

This morning I took our little friend to the vet.  It was not his intestines that Dave was seeing, it was mussel.  The little guy got stitched up and is doing very well.  He is set up in my office away from the other two, Luke and Samantha who are in the living room.  He is readily drinking goats milk from a bowl and enjoying the pillow he has to sleep on under the heat lamp. 

The vet has gotten to the point they don't even laugh at me anymore.  They have accepted that we are never going to be the "normal" hog farmer that would have hit him in the head with a hammer and disposed of his body.  They know that we are going to do whatever we can to save every one of these little guys.

That is why we are now Animal Welfare Approved!

2 comments:

  1. You do your best by each of your animals. And you all are pretty funny in the process. Thanks for the chuckle.

    ReplyDelete